Family Alternatives is a licensed foster care and adoption agency. We are licensed by the state to recruit, assess and train foster families. County social service agencies refer children who have been removed from their homes due to abuse and neglect for placement and supervision in our licensed foster homes. Our practice is guided by our core belief that all children and adults possess innate strengths, a capacity for growth and a common need for life-long relationships.
Our programs and practice reflect this belief through our commitment to:
- Building Support Teams - Family Alternatives works with each youth to identify people who will provide support and guidance to them throughout placement in foster care and into adulthood.
- Developing Strengths and Assets - Family Alternatives works with youth and their support team to identify and enhance their unique strengths and abilities
- Recognizing Innate Health - At the core of our practice is the belief that all people have wisdom, knowledge, skills and experience, that when acknowledged and encouraged leads to realizing their true potential.
- Making Connections to Community Resources - Youth, families and foster families are encouraged to become involved within their communities to realize the myriad of resources offered, as well as the benefits of being active community members.
- Dedicating time and resources to best practice and research initiatives… including the ACT, KCI and Familyconnect.
Family Alternatives is licensed through the Minnesota Department of Human Services to license foster homes within the state of Minnesota. To assure quality service and support to each family, only foster homes located within a one hour radius of our office are considered for licensing. Family Alternatives social workers make every effort to match children with foster families who possess abilities, skills and the resources necessary for the child, youth or sibling group to succeed.